Have you been thinking of joining a credit union for your banking purposes? At Resource One Credit Union, we hope you will consider us. We are a not-for-profit credit union in Dallas, with offices throughout the Dallas and Houston areas. As with other credit unions, we are member-owned and do not have external stockholders. These factors mean that we answer to our members first and foremost, making their best interests our top priorities. Most bank answer to stockholders and executives first, giving less precedence to the needs of the customer. In opting to bank at Resource One Credit Union, you can rest easy knowing that we are looking after you and your interests.
Credit Union Membership Benefits
Beyond knowing that credit unions are member-owned and not-for-profit, you might wonder what the specific credit union membership benefits are—and why they trump the advantages that you would get from a traditional bank. Here are just a few of the perks of bringing your business to credit unions in general and Resource One specifically:
- A full range of financial services: Doing your banking with a credit union doesn’t mean settling for a partial or reduced slate of financial services. On the contrary, at Resource One, we offer a wide range of savings, checking, loan, retirement savings, and insurance coverage services—both for personal and business purposes.
- Fewer fees and higher dividends: These are two of the most oft-cited benefits of being part of a credit union. Because credit unions aren’t for-profit and aren’t playing toward stockholder interests, they can justify charging fewer/lower fees than banks and passing on revenues more directly in the form of higher dividend rates.
- Protection: Some customers are concerned that credit unions aren’t as protected or secure as traditional banks, as they are not backed by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC). Don’t worry credit unions have the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA), which administers the National Credit Union Share Insurance Fund (NCUSIF). This fund exists to protect the deposits of credit union members, up to $250,000.
- Our R1 Cha-Ching benefits: If you are a Prime Spending member with Resource One, you get extra benefits and perks. These benefits include credit monitoring, reimbursements for expenses related to identity theft, payment card fraud resolution, accidental death insurance, pharmacy savings, vision and hearing savings, roadside assistance, and local deals.
- Discounts and savings: At Resource One, we try to show our members how much we value them every day. One way that we do that is by offering discounts and savings on valuable products and services. Get discounts on TurboTax, to make preparing your taxes easier. Save on medical and health expenses, from hearing aids to diabetic supplies. Get cash rewards for switching your phone service to Sprint, if you aren’t a Sprint member already. Through us, you can even get discounted passes to Six Flags Over Texas.
- Financial literacy programs: Credit unions typically work hard to educate their members about the nuances of financial literacy and wellbeing. Resource One is no exception to this rule. Through EverFi, we offer a Financial Wellness Program designed to demystify everything from daily savings to IRAs and retirement accounts.
- Creative youth accounts: Is your son or daughter nearing the age where you want to start teaching them about savings and banking? Start them out with a Resource One youth account! Our youth accounts are creative and fun while still instilling crucial fundamentals about good financial habits. In particular, our Roary’s Den Savings Account is the perfect solution for young kids, offering a fun rewards program to get kids engaged with the idea of saving money.
- Democratic decision making: On any list of credit union membership benefits, you will see some reference to the democratic structure of the institution. As a member of Resource One, you will have a voice in deciding how the credit union is run. Every single member gets a vote in shaping policies or making key decisions.
Finally, when you are a member of Resource One Credit Union, you will truly feel that you are a part of a supportive financial community. We view our members not just as assets, but as people. We dedicate ourselves to helping our members identify their financial goals and take the steps necessary to reach them. When you succeed, we succeed. You won’t get the same support from just any bank, but you will find it here.
Are you interested in joining our not-for-profit credit union in Dallas? Contact Resource One Credit Union today to get started.