Tis the season… for fraud. While you’re busy making holiday preparations here, there, and everywhere, fraudsters are working to take your money. This time of the year is what we in the business refer to as “Fraud Season” because scammers have an easier time taking advantage of people. Why? Because it’s more likely your attention will be on other things than protecting your information or reviewing your account for suspicious activity. Even if you are checking your account, smaller transactions can slip thru the cracks.
To help prevent fraud, check out our YouTube video where Veronica and Elizabeth cover fraud topics like fraud prevention, making secure payments, and what to do if your account has fraud.
Need a quick overview? Here are some tips to reduce your risk for debit card fraud:
- Choose a PIN that you can remember. Never write it on your card or write it down where someone else has access to it, and NEVER tell anyone what it is.
- Keep your card in a safe, secure place.
- Always use gas pumps in plain sight of the store attendant. Be aware of the card reader. If it seems loose, it could have a skimmer installed on it. The same goes for ATMs.
- Review your account activity often for signs of any fraudulent activity.
- If your card is lost or stolen, report it immediately at 1-800-442-4757.
- If you see fraudulent activity on your card and need to file a dispute, call 1-800-808-6402.